Friday 17 July 2015

Breaking Free - The Role of a Life Coach

by Simon
Since emerging from a religious HK cult, I’ve discovered that many successful people in the world have a coach. It’s not just sportspeople who have a coach, it’s all kinds of people. The phenomenon is known as life coaching, and it’s now quite common-place to find a life coach behind people who lead the pack in the world of business, politics, corporations, mainstream media, the entertainment industry, etc.
To a large degree life coaching is coaching in the matter of life skills, and of course life skills are not taught in the education system of any country, and usually not by parents. The ICF (International Coach Federation) provides independent certification for professional life coaches, and it’s not unheard of for a handful of the world’s leading professional life coaches to command fees of $10K an hour from clients whose annual income is in the multi millions.
Back in the day of the “hare krishna explosion” a dearth of life skills amongst “people in general” meant ripe pickings for hk preachers.
“Here in mrityu loka” we were told, “there is no enjoyment … unless you join us, and embrace the regulative principles of freedom. Otherwise it’s just endless samsara.”
Nowadays, anyone with a modicum of life skills knows such ideology is total clap trap, and that life is meaningful and indeed fulfilling if one has the life skills to live life with purpose.
Anyway, having snapped out of samsara, I decided to take on a professional life coach (who charges rather less than $10K per hour) with a view to enhancing my post-cult life skills. His name is Trevor.
It wasn’t long before Trevor cottoned on to the missing chapters of my life, lost to decades in the hk cult. Kinda embarrassing, although as would be expected of a life coach of good calibre, Trevor was pretty cool about it.
I was resigned to having wasted decades of my life to poppycock. A life totally wasted (“surrendered”) to a wretched cult agenda of exploitation. But now I get to the point of this posting. Trevor’s approach to dealing with my cult history (yes, it needed dealing with) astounded me.
Trevor didn’t agree with me that those decades were totally wasted. But I didn’t agree with Trevor. How could I agree with him? After all, everything about hk is bad, we know there is nothing good.
So Trevor gave me some homework. He insisted that I write down 100 reasons that I benefited from being involved with iskcon. Man, that was painful but I had no choice, I had to do it.
Reluctantly I began to write, with no idea how I would come up with even ten reasons, what to speak of 100. I began gently with …
  • Pleased my mother because of becoming totally drug free
  • Then as I moved on it became easier, I started to gain some momentum …
  • Learned to sell, got years of experience, and markedly raised my selling skills
  • And then found my stride as I got into the more subtle …
  • Gained insight into the fickleness of the notions of good and evil
  • After a couple of hours I was done! I discovered it wasn’t all bad after all, and I have to confess it was a liberating experience.
    Factually my life wasn’t wasted by decades in the hk cult. Whatever one does in life, it’s not so much our life circumstance, but rather our approachattitude and outlook that determines our degree of accomplishment and satisfaction.


    Source:

    http://breaking-free.info/decided-to-break-free/comment-page-2/#comment-25913

    No comments:

    Post a Comment